The Commission on Women meet the 3rd Monday of every month.
The Wicomico Commission on Women is a non-partisan organization dedicated to enriching the lives of women and families by focusing on issues of importance and concern to them including education, economic opportunities, health care, social issues and legislation. The Commission advocates for women and advises the County Executive and County government on all areas of concern.
The mission of the Commission is to create a stronger Wicomico County by addressing challenges faced by women, fostering opportunities, removing barriers and promoting a positive image of women.
The Commission accomplishes its mission through:
- Identifying inequities in laws, policies, practices and procedures and promoting remedies.
- Advising and counseling the residents of Wicomico County and all its government on matters involving the needs of women especially those matters relating to discrimination or prejudice on account of gender.
- Celebrating and recognizing the accomplishments of the women of Wicomico County.
- Promoting programs that will expand women’s educational and employment opportunities.
- Educating women on the process of seeking leadership roles.
- Encouraging women to seek political office, either elective or appointed.
- Working collaboratively with governmental agencies, private organizations and non-profit groups to bring about solutions to concerns.